Friday, September 16, 2011

Orange Peel Shrimp

There is a certain chain restaurant that has my heart. If you know me well, I avoid chains at all costs. If I'm spending my money on going out to eat, I like to support locally-owned restaurants if at all possible. For this one dish, I'll make an exception. From what I've found, the best Orange Peel Shrimp is from at P.F. Changs. Since the hubs and I don't eat out that often, I wanted to recreate this favorite dish so that I can make it at home whenever I have a craving for it.

Orange Peel Shrimp

1 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sesame seed
Coarse salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T chopped garlic
Peel from one orange
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup tomato sauce
2 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
2 T Sriacha
4 Scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, 2 T reserved


In a large bowl, whish together egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seed and pinch of salt & pepper. Add shrimp, toss to coat.

Heat 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.

Once all shrimp have been cooked and transferred to plate, add garlic, orange peel and scallions to skillet. Sautee for 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn the garlic. Add tomato sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and Srachia and bring to a boil. Simmer 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens. Add shrimp to pan and cook until heated through and coated with sauce. Top with remaining scallions and serve over brown rice.

Makes 4 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment