Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

I love me some balsamic vinegar. I put it on my salads as a dressing, dip my bread in it on wine and cheese (and bread) night and use it whenever the chance presents itself. I had marked a recipe in my Google Reader for a Balsamic Chicken that Julia's husband had made for her a long time ago. Since it was my night to cook and we had all of the ingredients on-hand, I decided to try it out for an easy weeknight meal. And I'm sure glad that I did.

This chicken was delicious. It was tender and had the best flavors of not only balsamic, but garlic as well. I actually let mine marinate for about an hour before cooking, as I was waiting for the hubs to get home. Whenever we make this next, I will do the same as I think it added even more to the flavor of the dish. The mushrooms and mashed potatoes were a great compliment to the chicken. This will definitely be added to our recipe rotation.

from Two Novice Chefs, One Tiny Kitchen

2 tsp Olive Oil
6 T Balsamic Vinegar
3 T Dijon Mustard
2 garlic cloves
Dash of salt and pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
1/3 c. dry white wine
1/4 t dried thyme, mince

In a medium bowl, mix 4 T. balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken and marinate from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how strong you would like the balsamic flavor to be.

Heat oil in skillet and transfer chicken to skillet, discarding the marinade. Saute chicken until cooked through, about three minutes on each side. After cooked through, transfer chicken to a platter to keep warm.

Add remaining balsamic vinegar, white wine and thyme to the skillet, scraping brown bits from the bottom. Reduce to 1/4 cup and add mushrooms. Cook until tender. Serve mushrooms and sauce over chicken, with a side of mashed potatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment