Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Change isn't always good

Recently, I've tried to cut back on my cosumption of caffine-filled pop. It's been a week since I had a Diet Coke or DDP (Diet Dr. Pepper), which is a pretty big deal since I used to be a 2 or 3x/day drinker. The thing is, I have to get that jolt from somewhere at least once a day. So I've turned into a full-blown coffee drinker. I'm not talking about the free machine-brewed coffee at work...I'm talking about lattes.

The thing is--this new habit is not very wallet-friendly. So, on my way to work this morning I stopped by the Starbucks on the Plaza because I had a giftcard that could help to support this new indulgence. It had recently gone under construction and I hadn't been in to check it out since they finished the work. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed. Gone were the warm-colored walls. Gone was the cozy furniture that you could sit back and relax in. Gone was the welcoming space.

Honestly when I walked in, I thought the place was still under construction. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The warm caramel paint was replaced with stark, white walls and the backsplash behind the counter is now covered with white subway tiles. Instead of comfy seating areas, there are now high top tables with cafe-style barstools.

I get that Starbucks felt they needed to update their look, but they definitely went in the wrong direction. Next time a Saturday morning comes along when I want to partake in some people watching and coffee drinking, I'll be going elsewhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment